For dry skin types, choosing the right moisturiser can be a bit of a minefield. Ideally you want one of the best moisturisers for dry skin: nourishing enough that it’ll cocoon skin with a layer of hydration, but something that doesn’t feel too heavy on skin and won’t feel oily. Ultimately, you want the product you invest in to help prevent flaking and patches of dryness, as well as ensuring skin looks and feels soft and supple instead of rough and tight.
In an ideal world, the moisturiser you use will combine a mixture of emollients (like ceramides, fatty acids and lanolin) – which hydrate skin and repair the skin barrier, while also trapping in the much-needed moisture – and humectants (like glycerin and hyaluronic acid), which work by drawing in moisture and sealing it into the skin.
The dry-skinned amongst us are well aware of the perils of the freezing winter months, too. It’s the time of year in which skin goes into overdrive – skin barriers are easily depleted and all moisture is zapped at the blink of an eye, both of which ares most often caused by the combination of the bitterly cold British weather and the constant need to have the central heating on at all hours of the day. “As the weather turns colder, skin tends to become drier and more sensitive,” says Dr Alexis Granite, CeraVe’s consultant dermatologist.
But it doesn’t have to be all doom and gloom, and that’s where the power of a good moisturiser specifically formulated for dry skin really comes into its own. Here, we’ve rounded up some of the best moisturisers for dry skin of all time – and as Dr Granite advises, it’s important to really take the time to massage your chosen product in, ideally for at least 30 seconds to really maximise the effects. “And if you find yourself reaching for it several times a day, you might want to consider a richer product,” she adds. Noted.
The best moisturisers for dry skin at a glance
- Best face moisturiser for dry skin = La Roche Posay Toleraine Creme, £16.59, La Roche-Posay
- Best moisturiser for dry sensitive skin = Kate Somerville Dry Skin Saviour, £43, Cult Beauty
- Best cheap moisturiser for dry skin = CeraVe Moisturising Cream, £5, LookFantastic
- Best moisturiser for dry mature skin = Caudalie Premier Cru The Rich Cream, £85, Caudalie
- Best hyaluronic acid moisturiser for dry skin = Vichy Aqualia Thermal Rich Cream Face Moisturiser with Hyaluronic Acid, £20, FeelUnique
- Best nourishing moisturiser for dry skin = Youth To The People Adaptogen Deep Moisture Cream, £50, Cult Beauty
- Best high-end moisturiser for dry skin = SkinCeuticals Triple Lipid Restore, £135, SkinCeuticals
- Best moisturiser for glowing skin = Medik8 Advanced Night Restore, £55, LookFantastic
- Best dry skin moisturiser to wear under makeup = Dr.Jart+ Ceramidin Cream, £30, Cult Beauty
- Best cold weather moisturiser for dry skin = Sunday Riley Ice, £60, John Lewis
- Best lightweight moisturiser for dry skin = Farmacy Beauty Honey DropLightweight Moisturizer, £41.90, FeelUnique
- Best squalene-based moisturiser for dry skin = Biossance Squalane and Omega Repair, £45, Cult Beauty
- Best strengthening moisturiser for dry skin = Drunk Elephant Protini Polypeptide Cream, £57, Boots