There was a time, not so long ago, that the words ‘full coverage foundations’ would likely conjure up images of thick, cement-like formulas that would look like anything but skin – but fast forward a couple of years and everything has changed. Nowadays, the best full coverage foundations not only work to help conceal and perfect skin while still ensuring it looks natural, but there’s also an abundance of lightweight, breathable formulas that won’t ever look flat or overly matte.
As with most makeup shopping, though, it’s not always easy to sift through every single product available and work out which may or may not be best for your individual skin type and concern – but we’re here to help.
How to shop for a full coverage foundation
First, it’s about ensuring you choose the right shade. That elusive perfect match does exist for everybody, it’s just a case of finding it – and while we’re used to colour-matching in a certain way, Terry Barber, director of makeup artistry at MAC Cosmetics, reckons there’s actually a better way to do it.
“If your skin is uneven, I would recommend colour matching somewhere in the middle of the face. I know that we’re supposed to match it to the jaw line, but I actually prefer to do it on the cheek bone, in between the two tones of the face,” he says. “That way, you can check how it’s reacting to the darker area and how it’s reacting to the lighter area – because what you don’t want to happen is to have a perfect match in the centre and then it be ashy or a different colour around the edges of the face.”
It’s hen a case of figuring out what you want from your full coverage foundation. Do you want something that you can layer up as and where it’s needed most, do you want something that’s long lasting above all else, do you want a luminous finish or would you prefer matte? The options are truly endless – so to help you narrow down your search, keep scrolling to discover the best full coverage foundations for 2022.
After something different? Head this way foundations for combination skin, over here for foundations for oily skin, this way for tinted moisturisers and in this direction for the best foundation brushes.
The best full coverage foundations at a glance.
- Best full coverage foundation = MAC Cosmetics Studio Fix Fluid SPF15, £29 lookfantastic.com
- Best luminous matte full coverage foundation = Huda Beauty #FauxFilter Liquid Foundation, £34 boots.com
- Best natural-looking matte full coverage foundation = Soft Matte Complete Foundation, £28 narscosmetics.co.uk
- Best high street full coverage foundation = Maybelline SuperStay 30hr Foundation, £10.99 boots.com
- Best sustainable full coverage foundation = KVD Good Apple Skin-Perfecting Foundation Balm, £29 boots.com
- Best affordable full coverage foundation = Revlon ColorStay Full Cover Foundation, £9.99 superdrug.com
- Best longwear full coverage foundation = Lancome Teint Idole Ultra Wear 24H foundation, £34.50 boots.com
- Best glow-giving full coverage foundation = Anastasia Beverly Hills Luminous Foundation, £43 boots.com
- Best luxury full coverage foundation = Tom Ford Traceless Soft Matte, £66 lookfantastic.com
- Best buildable full coverage foundation = Fenty Beauty Pro Filt’r Soft Matte Longwear Foundation, £30 boots.com
- Best radiance-boosting full coverage foundation = Pat McGrath Skin Fetish Sublime Perfection Foundation, £60 selfridges.com
- Best waterproof full coverage foundation = Urban Decay All Nighter Waterproof Longwear Liquid Foundation, £31 urbandecay.co.uk
- Best weightless full coverage foundation = Hourglass Seamless Finish Foundation, £34 cultbeauty.co.uk