Beauty regimes require attention, patience, a little dedication and more often than not, a bit of experimentation. Perseverance is key, because beautiful skin doesn’t just happen overnight.
Whilst it might be fun to scour the internet high and low for beauty miracles, it can also be time consuming and get a little expensive. Once you find staple products that agree with your skin, it’s best to stick to what you know for as long as it serves you well.
A good skincare kit will come equipped with all of the essentials you’ll need to maintain perfectly healthy and clear looking skin. You’ll usually find that most skin sets at least come with a great cleanser and moisturiser.
If you’re not sure about the best skincare kit for you, we’ve rounded up ten of the best below, for every budget and skin type.
How to build a skincare routine?
There are three fundamental steps to cleaning the face: cleansing, toning and moisturising.
Depending on your age and skin type, there may be a few more items that you’ll want to add to your skincare routine like cleansing balms, eye creams and serums, however the three main steps are a good place to start.
- Cleanser: The purpose of cleansing the skin is to remove daily grime like makeup, dead skin cells, excess oil and pollutants that build up on the skin’s surface throughout the day which can lead to clogged pores causing spots.
This step should be done twice a day to help prevent blemishes and enhance clear skin.
- Toner: Toner removes any last traces of dirt, grime and impurities stuck in your pores after you wash your face. Its purpose is to give your skin an extra shot of juice that includes nutrients that balance your complexion and restore your skin’s PH level. When used regularly and properly it can improve the tightness of your pores giving the appearance of smoother skin.
- Moisturiser: Moisturisers work to replenish the water content of the skin by trapping in the moisture to its top layer. The moisturiser will then prevent moisture from leaving the skins’ surface all the while rehydrating and plumping up the outermost layers of dead skin cells.
Extra products to include in your skincare routine?
Today there are many ways in which we are advised to clean our faces, and with so many products on the market it can get a little bit confusing for many of us.
Every beauty brand has their own unique formula that is said to help us in our quest to reduce fine lines and achieve flawless glowing skin.
The most basic skincare set will include the three main products – cleanser, toner and moisturiser, but depending on how much you’re willing to spend, skincare sets can include many extras including:
Ingredients to look out for in skincare products?
You will definitely come across products for anti-ageing and to promote clear skin and the main ones include these key ingredients:
- Hyaluronic Acid: Hyaluronic Acid is naturally produced by the body and can be found in your skin, connective tissue and eyes. Its main function is to retain water to keep your tissues well lubricated and moist
The natural ageing process and exposure to UV rays from the sun, cigarette smoke and pollution can decrease its amounts in the skin, so taking hyaluronic acid supplements may prevent this decline which is why it is often used in serums that we put on our skin.
- SPF: Good old sunscreen protecting you from UV light damage from the sun – sun exposure is one of the primary causes of all the signs of ageing, from spots to wrinkles and everything in between. The recommended daily value is SPF 30 which you will find in some skincare products. It’s worth doing your research.
- Ceramides: The main purpose of Ceramides is to keep the skin hydrated by sealing in moisture and getting rid of the irritants. Ceramides is a good ingredient to seek out if you’re prone to skin conditions like eczema, however it’s an effective ingredient for any skin type.
- Collagen: One of the most important proteins in your skin, keeping it strong and firm and springy. Our natural collagen production slows down as we age, and external factors such as sun exposure also contribute to the breakdown of collagen.
Retinol: Better known to us as vitamin A, it is one of the most effective skin-transforming ingredients. It’s part of a larger group known as retinoids, all working in more-or-less the same way and you may well come across it in one of your skincare gift set products.
Vitamin C: Works as a great antioxidant, helping to neutralise the skin-damaging free radicals caused by exposure to environmental factors such as sun and pollution.
Charcoal: Charcoal is an active ingredient used for drawing out toxins and removing impurities in the skin. It’s typically used on the face, but can also be used to naturally whiten teeth by removing surface stains.
Do skincare products actually work?
Depending on what you’re hoping to achieve, there’s no reason why your skincare routine shouldn’t improve the overall look and feel of your skin.
It makes sense to be wary of any product that claims to be a ‘miracle’ product but other than that, as long as you are consistent with your daily skincare routine and you’ve done your research as to what the products contain making sure they’re what your skin requires, you’ll definitely see some improvements.
The key is to keep the skin hydrated so what we consume also plays a big part in the overall look of our skin. Drinking water and eating clean will always help towards youthful glowing skin.
What skincare brands to look out for?
- Liz Earle
- The Ordinary
- Benefit Cosmetics
- Charlotte Tilbury
Where to buy skincare gift sets?
Best skincare sets for all skin types 2022
Best for all skin types
This REN Clean Skincare Its All Glow Set will give you a little bit of TLC from top to bottom and inside and out.
Why not give the gift of glowing skin with the REN Clean Skincare exclusive gift set, that consists of a pairing of radiance-boosters that cater to all skin types, which is ideal if you’re wanting to give it as a gift.
- Ready Steady Glow Daily AHA Tonic 100ml: A skin-resurfacing toner that gently exfoliates congested skin with AHAs and willow bark, ridding clogged pores of impurities, restoring radiance and evening skin tone.
- Brightening Dark Circle Eye Cream 15ml: An energising moisturiser that rehydrates and improves the look of dark circles with nourishing bioactives, while the antioxidant-rich elderberry flower extract protects and glycogen locks in essential moisture to plump, firm and illuminate.
Best budget skincare set
- The Ordinary Squalane Cleanser 50ml
- The Ordinary Hyaluronic Acid 2% + B5 30ml
- The Ordinary Natural Moisturising Factors 30ml
The Ordinary skincare is great for people looking for impeccable skin on a strict budget. The affordable range caters to all skin types and takes a scientific approach to beauty.
Combining three of the brands top sellers, use the squalane cleanser to rid the skin of oil and impurities, followed by a serum and moisturiser that help to retain the skin’s moisture for a youthful, supple glow.
Best luxury gift set
Pro-Collagen Energising Marine Cleanser (75ml)
Pro-Collagen Cleansing Balm (50g
Soothing Apricot Toner (200ml)
Pro-Collagen Marine Cream (30ml)
Pro-Collagen Marine Oil (5ml)
Lime & Ginger Velvet Body Butter (100ml)
Lime & Ginger Bath & Shower Milk (300ml)
Lime & Ginger Hand & Nail Balm (20ml)
Velvet vanity bag
This Elemis Pro-Collagen Face & Body 8 Piece Gift of Skin Radiance will nourish your skin and restore a healthy, natural glow.
The set comes in 3 different fragrances including Frangipani Monoi that will give you all the feels of being in a spa. The Lime & Ginger will leave your skin feeling and smelling gorgeous, while the Marine fragrance will make your skin feel nourished and refreshed.
Best value skincare set
- Ginzing Energy-Boosting Gel Moisturiser 30ml
- Ginzing Refreshing Eye Cream 5ml
- Clear Improvement Active Charcoal Mask 15ml
- Dr. Andrew Weil Mega-Mushroom Soothing Treatment 50ml
- Super Spot Remover Blemish Treatment Gel 10ml
- Overnight Hydrating Mask With Avocado & Glacier Water 15ml
- Checks & Balances Frothy Face Wash 30ml
This seven piece set from Origins is really the whole package, at £32 it’s a complete bargain for a complete skincare regime.
With everything from balancing face washes and active charcoal masks to improve uneven complexions; you’ll also get great emergency products to soothe spots and eye creams that’ll wake you up. Tackle every skin problem at once, what’s not to love?
Best for oily skin
- Velvet Cleansing Milk 200ml
- Purifying Toning Lotion 200ml
- Pure Scrub 15ml
- Makeup bag
This Clarins Perfect Cleansing set is the ultimate skincare combination to cleanse and balance oily skin and it’s an ideal starting point for anyone wanting to try out a new skincare routine.
Use each of the products daily to help prevent breakouts keeping the skin clear and hydrated.
Indulge in kind-to-skin ingredients like yellow gentian and organic lemon balm, enriched organic meadowsweet and organic witch hazel extracts. Revitalise and nourish your face from the surface and deep down.
Best for calming skin
- Cream Cleanser 30ml
- Vital Moisturising Cream 20ml
- Hydrating Mist Toner 20ml
- Rosehip Oil Antioxidant+ 5ml
From skincare brand Trilogy, comes this quartet of products to lead you to calm and clear skin.
The main ingredient of this collection is rosehip oil, which is widely regarded in the beauty world as a must have for nourishing and calming skin.
Best for ageing skin
Perfectly Clean Multi-Action Foam Cleanser/Purifying Mask, deluxe travel size 7ml
Micro Essence Skin Activating Treatment Lotion, deluxe travel size 7ml
Advanced Night Repair Serum Synchronized Multi-Recovery Complex, deluxe travel size 7ml
Revitalizing Supreme+ Global Anti-Aging Cell Power Creme, deluxe travel size 15ml
Revitalizing Supreme+ Global Anti-Aging Power Eye Balm, deluxe travel size 5ml
If you’re looking for a skincare set to travel with, this kit from Estee Lauder is a great option to consider. The gift set contains some of Estee Lauder’s best-selling formulas to reduce the look of lines and wrinkles, said to make the skin feel firmer, and significantly improve its density and elasticity.
It’s suitable for all skin types which makes it the perfect gift option for a loved one.
Best for dry Skin
- Cleanse & Polish Hot Cloth Cleanser 30ml
- Instant Boost Skin Tonic 50ml
- Skin Repair Moisturiser Dry/sensitive 15ml
- Gentle Face Exfoliator 15ml
- Cotton Cloth
Give your skin and instant boost with this set of five beauty must-haves from Liz Earle. The kit is perfect for those with dry and or sensitive skin.
Cleanse away impurities with the cleanser and cotton cloth duo, you can use this morning and night along with your toner and moisturiser. The gentle exfoliator is to be used 2-3 times a week, or as needed.
Best all-round skincare set
- Jelly Milk Cleanser
- Super Bounce Serum
- Priming Moisturiser
- Balm Dot Com Lip Balm
- FutureDew Oil
Glossier’s top picks are available all rolled into one very convenient kit. The set includes everything you’ll need to maintain a healthy face, it includes the much-loved jelly milk cleanser, super bounce serum to keep you face supple and even a nourishing lip balm to keep those lips hydrated.
Also included is a stretchy pink logo headband and it’s all presented in a recyclable carry case.
Best for sensitive skin
This set of five amazing products from No7 is a complete age-defying skincare regime that will visibly reduce the appearance of lines and wrinkles, for younger looking skin.
Once you’ve cleansed the face morning and night, nourish the skin with your night and day creams, and treat the skin to the intense advanced serum and massage in the youthful replenishing face oil.
Best for vitamin C
NIP+FAB Vitamin C Fix Brightening Pad
NIP+FAB Vitamin C Fix Tonic
NIP+FAB Vitamin C Fix Serum
The much loved cult range from Nip+Fab’s Glycolic acid collection comes with the three simple steps that will deliver you the bright and clear skin you’re after.
Revamp and revitalise tired looking skin to reveal a smoother, more radiant and luminous complexion.
Best for younger skin
Total Moisture Facial Cream 48.2g
POREfessional Hydrate Primer 7.5ml
BROWVO! Conditioning Primer 3ml
It’s Potent! Eye Cream
Benefit fans will love this set of four which features two full-size and two mini-size products, the quartet of skin and brow essentials lets you enhance your skincare routine.
And for just under £25 you can’t go far wrong.