Korean moisturizers are all the rage right now. We rounded up the best Korean moisturizers for dry skin that you should add to your skincare routine.
Dry and sensitive skin can be a huge pain to deal with. If you’re looking for relief, Korean moisturizers may just be the best solution out there right now! Korean beauty products are popping up all over the place because of their natural ingredients and skin-friendly formulas. In this article, we will discuss why these Korean moisturizers are so popular as well as how they are made.
First off, what is a moisturizer? For the unacquainted, a moisturizer is a cream, gel or lotion that is applied to the skin in order to keep it hydrated and soft. A moisturizer will lock moisture into your dull skin so you don’t have dry patches! It can also help with inflammation (redness) of the skin as well as lighten dark marks from acne-prone skin or blemishes.
The Rising Popularity of Korean Moisturizers
Why are Korean moisturizers so popular these days? Simply put, Korean products are popular because they are made up of gentle ingredients that deliver results. Natural ingredients such as ginseng, green tea extract, or bamboo sap help with inflammation (redness) on the skin while also working to lighten dark spots.
The gentle formulation of K-moisturizers means that they aren’t packed full of acne-causing agents which makes them suitable for all skin types – even sensitive ones!
Key Ingredients To Look For In Korean Moisturizers
As we mentioned, Korean moisturizers are formulated with science-backed ingredients that deliver results. When shopping around for your next Korean moisturizers for dry skin, it’s good to keep the following ingredients in mind to get the best benefits for your particular skin concerns.
- Snail mucus extract – Helps with acne scars and dry skin as well as creating a protective barrier to lock in moisture.
- Centella Asiatica – Helps heal wounds/scars, moisturizes and reduces redness (inflammation) of the skin.
- Niacinamide – Prevents breakouts by regulating sebum production, while also brightening your complexion by fighting dark spots! It works best on acne-prone or oily skin types.
- Hyaluronic acid – This ingredient will attract moisture to the skin and prevent water loss (TEWL), keeping your skin plump and youthful.
- Sodium Hyaluronate – Another form of hyaluronic acid.
- Glycerin – Vegetable-based humectant which attracts moisture to your skin, keeping it hydrated. It is best for dry or normal/combination skin types.
- Ceramides – Nourish and moisturize while also repairing damage from within. Ceramides are an essential part of the lipid barrier of the skin.
- Dimethicone Copolyol – A silicone-based polymer that creates a protective layer on the skin’s surface, locks in hydration.
- Ethylhexyl Methoxycinnamate – Helps protect against UVA rays so you don’t get sunburned as well as preventing melanogenesis (production of dark spots).
- Jojoba oil – Mimics the natural sebum of your skin, moisturizing and healing dry patches of skin.
If you have sensitive or dry skin then Korean moisturizers are your best choice! Not only will they help hydrate your face but they’ll get rid of those pesky pimples that just won’t go away too. Below, we rounded up our top picks for the best Korean moisturizers to add to your beauty arsenal.
The Best Korean Moisturizers For Dry Skin
1. Klairs Rich Moist Soothing Cream
This moisturizer might just be the most raved about K-moisturizers on this list. The Klairs Rich Moist Soothing Cream provides immediate, long-term moisture for a more radiant, hydrated complexion. This cream works deep within the skin to provide much-needed soothing and moisture.
While all of the moisturizers provided in this list are fantastic for sensitive skin, this moisturizer from Klairs has a unique selling point even in the realm of sensitive skincare. It specifically aims to also help those who suffer from “burning skin”, meaning rosacea, or very irritated skin that emits heat. It cools down the skin, while also reducing redness.
One of its hero-ingredients is yeast-derived beta-glucan, which supports your skin’s natural moisture barrier and your skin’s defense system. It’s definitely one of the best Korean moisturizers for dry skin if you have hyper-sensitive, very irritated skin that needs a lot of TLC.
2. RNW – DER. SPECIAL Ceramide Cream
Get this at YesStyle
Similar to Klairs’ Rich Moisturizing Cream, the RNW Special Ceramide Cream is specifically formulated for skin that’s in the need of some real TLC. This cream has a couple of rave-worthy hero ingredients, including 5 types of ceramides to help rebuild the skin, 3 types of hyaluronic acid to add moisture, panthenol to deliver deep hydration and meadowfoam seed oil to lock in all the goodies.
This cream is free of parabens and is dermatologically tested to provide you with the relief you need to calm your dry and tender skin.
5. COSRX Advanced Snail 92 All In One Cream
Snail mucin (the actual mucus from snails) might sound icky, but it’s fast becoming a really popular main ingredient in Korean skincare products for having a ton of benefits – it protects the skin from moisture loss, while also improving your skin’s elasticity. Snail mucin also has soothing agents and it also helps reduce redness of the skin.
Not only that, but snail mucin also helps in wound repair. Now take all of these benefits and put it in one pot of moisturizer – you really can’t go wrong with the COSRX Advanced Snail 92 All In One Cream.
This moisturizer is an all-natural jelly cream containing 92% snail secretion filtrate, giving it the slick texture of a gel. It is extremely lightweight, making this a good moisturizer for the day, underneath your makeup.
We would say that this is one of the best Korean moisturizers for dry skin if your skin is on the verge of being between dry and normal, and doesn’t need immediate attention in the form of heavy creams.
COSRX is also a cruelty-free brand, and they have assured beauty consumers that no snail has been harmed in creating this product.
4. Etude House Moistfull Collagen Cream
The Etude House Moistfull Collagen Cream has a gel-like texture that helps in making the moisturizer feel lightweight. A little bit goes a long way when it comes to replenishing dehydrated skin. This moisturizing cream has a floral scent – yet it is not overpowering or aggressive, which is the best option if you’re not into artificial fragrance.
Its hydrating agent, dubbed super collagen, gives the skin an instant lift and plump, and it has that supple and bouncy feel after applying it. The cream even claims to leave the moisturized for 100 hours – were not so sure about that, but there must be at least some truth in it for them to make the claim!
This cream is perfect for targeting any anti-aging concerns in your 20s and 30s, and it also works to provide moisture for any skin type that’s lacking moisture; from dry to dehydrated oily skin.
5. Yeouth Day Night Moisturizer With Snail Extract
The Yeouth Day Night Moisturizer with Snail Extract leaves the skin feeling soft and supple., and is packed with tons of amazing ingredients for great skin. These include hyaluronic acid (to make your skin feel supple and hydrated), snail extract (protects the skin from moisture loss and promotes wound healing), tripeptides (reduces the appearance of wrinkles and fine lines), and green tea (reduces skin irritation and swelling).
These ingredients are great not just for dry skin, but also for any skin type that’s concerned with addressing the early signs of aging. This cream is formulated to be used both at day and at night, so if you hate carrying around too many unnecessary products, this moisturizer is a great one to get.
6. COSRX Oil-Free Moisturizing Lotion
Get this at Ulta
This COSRX Oil-Free Moisturizing Lotion is an emulsion-type (lotion) moisturizer. It is a lightweight moisturizer that is best suited for all skin types, but especially dehydrated-oily skin type that needs hydration and moisture without heaviness.
About 70% of this moisturizer is made up of birch tree juice, replacing H20 as its primary ingredient. Birch sap is made up of skin-friendly components including vitamin e, amino acids, proteins, minerals, and enzymes. It’s especially beneficial for sensitive and irritated skin, especially skin that suffers from acne.
This moisturizer is also packed with hyaluronic acid, so there’s no need for you to use a hyaluronic acid serum if you opt for this cream.
If you are looking for a lightweight cream that dries fast and acts as the perfect base for make-up, this is should be your first choice. .
Get this at Style Korean
This moisturizer is for normal to dry and flaky skin. Laneige’s water-based skincare collection has gathered a lot of positive reviews online, and although this was marketed as “water”, it is actually “hydro ionized mineral water” which contains different minerals that will benefit your skin in the long time: zinc, manganese, magnesium, sodium, calcium, and potassium.
Since it is water-based, the moisturizer won’t leave your skin feeling oily. It has a creamy texture that will leave your skin feeling plump and healthy.
Get this at Ebay
True to its name, the Innisfree Dewy Glow Jelly Cream has a jelly texture to it – and it has been gathering a LOT of rave reviews online. It’s pretty much sold out everywhere after it got viral on Tiktok.
According to EliteDaily, the jelly cream is formulated with cherry blossom which only blooms once a year in its native island of Jeju in South Korea. Jeju cherry blossom is said to help boost your skin’s radiance, while the jelly consistency of the cream is said to instantly absorb without any sticky residue.
As what online reviews have mentioned, this moisturizer will leave your skin feeling dewy and glowy after a week of using it. Try it for yourself – fast. This product has been selling out everywhere.
Laneige is well known in Korea and Southeast Asia for one of the most popular skincare brands. The Laneige Water Sleeping Mask oozes of freshness and hydration without the greasiness, and it will leave your skin supple and bouncy in the morning.
This type of moisturizer is typically worn overnight, and is used as a last step in your skincare routine, just before bedtime, so you can wake up with healthy and supple skin. It has apricot and evening primrose extracts that will help brighten and purify your fatigued skin.
Get this at Style Korean
The TONYMOLY The Chok Ch0k Green Tea Watery Moisture Cream is a gel cream that is made up of pure fermented green tea extract instead of distilled water. The moisture cream is also packed with lemon seed oil and rosewood oil, which can protect the skin from bacterial and fungi while soothing the skin.
The most notable ingredient in this product is the ChungTaeJeon, which is a Korean green tea extract that is fermented for a year under the sun so it will provide lasting hydration and moisture.
Get this on StyleKorean
The Best Korean Skincare Brands To Keep An Eye On
Korean skincare brands offer a wide range of products other than just moisturizers. Most, if not all of them, offer all products that will complete your 10-step Korean skincare routine!
So, if you’ve found the best (one or two) Korean moisturizers for dry skin from this list, the next step would be to add a few more skincare products that can help you create the best skin you’ve ever had.
In addition to this, most Korean skincare brands also offer cosmetics, so if you’re interested in lightweight makeup that is packed with nourishing ingredients that will benefit your skin at the same time, start browsing the websites of these brands:
- Klairs – Klairs is a game-changer in the K-beauty market. They are a vegan-friendly, cruelty-free cosmetics brand that especially caters to sensitive skin. Klairs is a high-quality skincare brand that provides gentle, simple products for those with sensitive skin.
- COSRX – Over the years, COSRX has built up a solid cult following not just in Korea, but all over Asia and the western beauty market. They are known for their effective AHA/BHA toners, and their moisturizers are just as great as well. Not only are they popular for their skincare products, but they also have cosmetics such as cushion foundation that is well-loved by beauty consumers. COSRX is known for its short yet active ingredients list that features high-quality and effective extracts and compounds that help trouble-prone, dry and dehydrated skin, as well as aging and sensitive skin.
- Etude House – Etude House is the perfect place to find your instant beauty fixes. Apart from their unique and adorable packaging, their products are also a fan favorite among beauty consumers for being lightweight yet effective.
- Innisfree – Their products are made up of beneficial raw materials that are sourced from Jeju Island in South Korea, which means that their skincare products are totally safe and free from harsh chemicals – gentle yet effective.
- YEOUTH – YEOUTH is a cruelty-free Korean skincare brand as well as vegan and paraben-free.While not quite as well-known as some of the bigger names in Korean skincare, YEOUTH is a brand that’s been making waves in the skincare scene for a few years now.
- Laneige – Laneige is very well-known for their exclusive water-based products that deliver full hydrating benefits. This Korean skincare brand is known for their rich line of beauty products that are easily cult favorites among beauty consumers.
Commonly Asked Questions
1. How do I know if my skin is dry or sensitive?
Dry skin usually has flaking, scaly patches. Sensitive skin is usually red and inflamed (swollen).
2. When should I use Korean moisturizers in my skincare routine?
You should always cleanse your face before applying moisturizers to ensure that all dirt/oils have been removed from the surface of your face. After cleansing, feel free to apply moisturizer around your face in a gentle, circular motion.
3. Are Korean skincare products better?
Korean moisturizers offer a wide range of ingredients that are specifically formulated for your skin type. They also work best when you use the entire Korean skincare routine together!
4. What is the 10-step Korean skincare routine?
The famous 10-step Korean skincare routine involves a balm or oil cleanser (1), a foaming cleanser (2), an exfoliant (3), a toner (4), an essence (5), an ampoule or serum (6), a sheet mask (7), an eye cream (8), a moisturizer (9), and then either a thicker night cream or sleeping mask or an SPF (10).
We hope you found the best moisturizer for your specific needs from this list of the best Korean moisturizer dry skin! If you’re still looking for more K-beauty ideas, check the posts down below.
Get More Skincare Ideas